Oct 5, 2007

Snake Bite

No, I'm not writing you from the hospital. Friday's adventure was to a nursery where I was in search of plants for my new herb garden. Ignore your thought: "I didn't know he was a gardener." I've got more interesting news. Here's the story: Gardener starts yelling in Spanish for the other gardener's to come over to the trees, quickly. He then motions for me and Brian to come over so naturally I pull out my camera to capture whatever the excitement is about. Once Gardener notices I have a camera, he points to a very large snake and suggested I move closest to the snake for best photo opportunity. In my hesitation, I see Gardener #2 running towards us with a machete. I hesitate longer, then take position. I first see there are 2 snakes. One large snake (Killer), about 4' long and a smaller snake (Dinner), about 2' long. Round 1, Killer has Dinners' mid section in his mouth. Round 2, Killer still had Dinner by the mid section but now Dinner has bitten Killer on the head and is holding on. Classic lock jaw move. Round 3 was interrupted by machete Gardener throwing rocks at the snakes while Gardener #3 was poking at them with an 8' pole. Round 4, Dinner finally had to let go because he was dying from Killers' poison (seriously). Killer eats Dinner. True story. Check it out:
Killer and Dinner between white and yellow bag
Gardener's #1 and 2 with machete and pole. There is good reason why this photo is taken from a distance.

Adventure #2. How do we get 4 bags of soil and 1 bag of herbs back home? Gardener #1 took care of that for us. He simply whistled at the first truck he saw. Trucker pulled over, agreed to take us and our supplies home for $3. What was truckers name, where was he from, where was he going and was he safe? Trucker, don't ask, just driving around and yes. Well, as safe as a random truck with religious stickers and welded seat benches in the back can be.




Quick glimpse of our truck transportation
Random road side attraction....Yee Ha!

2 comments:

Jodi Miller said...

Okay, Uncle Dave. . .this one is freaking me out.

BBentz said...

A ride in the back of a Toyota pickup...reminds me of a similar ride I took in Costa Rica accept that the driver was going 70 mph down a dirt road with lots of potholes and creek crossings. Looks like that pickup canopy fits well.

Brandon