Aug 9, 2009

Back At It

Welcome back to SPORK my amigo's! It's been a great summer and a much needed break with family, friends and all things American. We enjoyed every minute we were able to spend with all of you. We are so lucky to have such wonderful family and friends.

Today was our first day back in Guayaquil and I was quickly reminded what I was missing. Before I continue, I first need to remind you why I was most looking forward to coming back to Ecuador. Many of you asked this question and my response was always, "the daily adventure's." I knew this was the answer, but, when I thought about it, I couldn't really say WHAT the daily adventures were.......until today.

We get to our apartment at midnight and find that there is no running water. Not ideal for going to the bathroom, showering, cooking and washing dishes, but not all that big of an Ecuatrocity. How does it get fixed? My friend Paul comes over with a drill, axe, hammer and a desire to destroy things, which is great. We first needed to break into the locked, steel door to the outside room with the water pump. After drilling into the lock and punching it out with the hammer, we're in. At the time, this seemed perfectly normal until I was thinking about it after we had broken in and repaired the water pump. This wasn't normal by any other standards. The thought of calling a locksmith never was an option. Why would we do that when we had the tools to break in for free? After being back for less than 12 hours, this is the first example of "daily adventures" and it feels great to be back.


5 comments:

Sherry said...

welcome back--I look forward to all adventures ecu or otherwise

Anonymous said...

I love your attitude towards Ecu adventures. Most people would be wondering why they were back and you are thinking "yes" this is what I've been missing.

Kate said...

Love it, and the picture of you two!

Erik and Tracy said...

OMG (yeah, you thought only the teenagers used OMG)! This is by far my favorite picture of you two. You look absolutely beautiful! I love you guys!

Nicole said...

love this picture! love you two! and love that the adventures will continue. welcome home.